Family Class

Family Class Immigration

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members who want to become permanent residents of Canada. This particular class promotes the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad and is designed for family reunification.

Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident can sponsor relatives or family members from abroad if they are:

  • Spouse, common law or conjugal partner
  • Parents or grandparents;
  • Dependent children, including adopted children;
  • Children under 18 years of age whom they intend to adopt;
  • Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans; under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship; or
  • A relative of any age if you do not have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list above who you could sponsor or who is already a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident.

Who can become a Sponsor?


  • Sponsor must be Canadian citizens, or permanent residents aged 19 or over, and be living in Canada.
  • Sponsor must have the necessary relationship to the person being sponsored.
  • Sponsor must earn sufficient income to be able to comply with the requirements of the undertaking.
  • Sponsor must give an undertaking to be financially responsible for the applicants for a period of 10 years, during which time sponsored relatives must not depend on social assistance.

A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident who wants to sponsor any of the above listed relatives or family members may have to meet certain income requirements, sign a legal contract or Undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

They must also sign a Sponsorship Agreement with their relative or family member that outlines their mutual commitments to each other.

Sponsors are accountable for providing for their family members after arrival in Canada, and for making certain that they do not become dependent on the Canadian social aid.

They must pledge to support the relative or family member and their accompanying family members for a period of 3-10 years to help them settle & reconcile to their new life in Canada.