British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)
British Columbia’s economic growth depends on having enough skilled and qualified people to meet labour market needs. The BC Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) is a way for high-demand foreign workers and experienced entrepreneurs to gain permanent residency in B.C.
The BC PNP accepts applications under two main categories:
- Skills Immigration (including Express Entry British Columbia)
- Entrepreneur Immigration
These streams are further divided into categories. Below we provide you with additional information about each to help you determine if the BC PNP is right for you.
BC PNP Skills Immigration is divided into the following categories:
- Skilled Worker Category — This category is for individuals who have received an eligible job offer in a skilled occupation. Workers should have several years of experience in their skilled occupation.
- Healthcare Professional Category — Under this category individuals with experience and eligible job offers, as physicians, nurses, psychiatric nurses or allied health professionals may apply. An eligible job offer must be acquired.
- International Graduate Category — This category is for individuals who have graduated from an eligible Canadian university or college in the last three years. You need a job offer from a BC employer to be eligible under this sub-category.
- International Post-Graduate Category— This category is for graduates who have Masters or Doctoral degrees from an eligible educational institution in British Columbia in the natural, applied, or health sciences programs of study. No job offer is required.
- Entry Level and Semi-Skilled Worker Category — Workers in certain entry-level or semi-skilled positions in tourism/hospitality, food processing, or long-haul trucking, or those in entry-level or semi-skilled positions living and working in the Northeast Development Region of British Columbia, may be eligible for immigration through this program.
Express Entry British Columbia
Express Entry BC corresponds with the federal government’s Express Entry immigration selection system. This lets eligible applicants to receive priority processing of both their BC PNP application and if nominated, their permanent residence application.
The following Skills Immigration categories may be processed through Express Entry British Columbia:
- Skilled Worker Category
- Health Care Professional Category
- International Graduate Category
- International Post-Graduate Category
See The Minimum Scores Required And The Number Of Invitations To Apply Issued By The Bc Pnp To Date.
Individuals who intend to settle and invest in British Columbia may be eligible for Canadian permanent residence under this immigration stream.
This program is broken down into two categories:
- Entrepreneur Immigration Category — This category is for senior managers or business owners who intend to invest funds into a proposed business in British Columbia.
- Entrepreneur Immigration — Regional Pilot — This new pilot is for international entrepreneurs looking to establish a new business in a small community in British Columbia.
- Strategic Projects Category — Through this category, foreign-controlled companies can set up an operation in British Columbia. Up to five key foreign managerial, professional or technical staff members can be nominated for permanent residence in the province.